1.11.2014

Creamy Clam Chowder


This was a pleasant surprise! It's a rainy day in January. We had the urge to eat seafood. After a shopping frenzy, the first thing I wanted to make was clam chowder! Grab a slice of bread or crackers and chowder love is in the air. 

I enjoy creamy soups. Cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, cream of broccoli.... Name another and I will probably like it! So Manhattan style is not for me. 

Searching online recipes gave me a start in the right direction. Here's what I did to make mine. 

-Creamy Clam Chowder-
Melt 2 TBSP unsalted butter in pot. Add 1/2 onion, diced. Cook until softened. 
Chop 2-oz mushrooms, put in bowl with 2 6-oz jars of clam sauce. Let soak a few minutes then add to onions. (The mushrooms will absorb the juice and taste like clams)
Finely chop a large potato, add to pot. Bring to boil and cook until potato is soft. About 10 minutes. 
Add 1 can of drained clams. I used whole clams and chopped them up into large chunks. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. 
Add 1/2 cup heavy cream and bring to low boil. If too thin, add 1 TBSP cornstarch mixed in water to thicken. 
Serves 2 large bowls or 4 small ones. 

That's good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment