6.23.2009

An experiment

Summer brings out all sorts of things in us. Fresh pick your own strawberries, bar-b-q's, dining on the deck, trips to the ice cream stand. The must-have side dish is (drum roll......) macaroni salad!

I was goofing around with the idea of making a different kind of macaroni salad. The ideas came to reality in the kitchen the other day. Here's the low down.

I made a batch of GF macaroni noodles, and added a bottle of alfredo-cheese sauce to it.

Side note: Take a look at the different jarred alfredo sauces in the stores. You can probably find something that will not have flour in it. I cannot vouch as to whether or not it is truly GF, but when I don't find flour on the label, I give it a chance. Sometimes I miss a non-GF ingredient, though. You'll have to decide if you want to give it a chance.

Anyways, back to the salad. The noodles were saucy, and I added some cut up turkey into it. (Chicken or tuna would be tasty too.) Some of it was served up for dinner that night. Then, the leftovers went in the fridge.

A couple days later, I was looking at it, and thought, "macaroni salad". After macaroni sits for any length of time, it soaks up the moisture and gets kinda dry, as what was happening to my cold alfredo mixture. A little dollop of mayo got stirred in and the macaroni salad began to become reality. A little grind of pepper, a pinch of salt, and some celery seed... it was good! I think adding peas to it would make it even better.

Let me know if you try this summer favorite recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment